In this new podcast, Anita Holford, co-editor of Music Education Works, is talking with Ollie Tunmer of Beat Goes On. Ollie teaches STOMP-style body percussion and samba drumming to all ages, and his sessions recently moved online during lockdown.
We talk about:
- how Ollie auditioned for Stomp as a teenager – which was where he discovered a passion for body percussion – but only later was successful in joining their ranks
- his local connections in Brighton: how his parents taught music in the area; he learned piano and drums through the music service; and ended up teaching with his own teachers
- the inclusive nature of body percussion and samba as a form of community music
- its use in primary and secondary schools, including in literacy
- adapting to the pandemic and moving workshops online
- the importance of bringing students’ and teachers’ own musical interests into sessions
You can access the podcast via a blog on our main website –
or on iTunes or Spotify (search for Music for Education & Wellbeing).